Hey guys! It’s been forever since I posted the first Book Club post. I didn’t forget about it, it just took me a ridiculously long time to finish Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake and I’m a very busy bee.
If you haven’t read the book yet, no worries! This review will have no spoilers and I won’t mention anything you don’t find out within the first few pages.
Here’s the shortened review:
Overall I would rate the book a 7/10. The beginning was hard to get in to and I considered putting it down and reading something else. However, I’ve always hated not finishing a book, so I stuck with it. By the end of the story I found myself really enjoying the story line and the characters. If you enjoy fantasy novels and can push past a slow start, I think you’ll really enjoy this book.
Now into the fun part…
“Three dark queens are born in a glen. Sweet little triplets will never be friends. Three dark sisters all fair to be seen; two to devour and one to be Queen.”
Each generation the Queen of Fennbirn gives birth to triplets. The triplets have the power to create and calm storms and ignite flames, eat poison without becoming sick, or grow lush plants and bond with a “familiar.” Katharine is the Poisoner, Arsinoe the Naturalist, and Mirabella the Elemental. To gain the crown and the favor of the Goddess the triplet sisters must kill the others in the end goal to be the last one alive. Mirabella is the only sister to show any power, and a great deal at that. Despite the odds being in Mirabella’s favor, the other sisters prepare for the Beltane Festival, and the killing that follows.
As I said before, the beginning of the story is very slow, but that is because Blake gave us so many characters that she had to introduce. She does a very good job of getting us close to each sister and those around them, bringing us even more into the world of Fennbirn. Some of my favorite characters are…
- Mirabella- She’s a living thunderstorm, strong but immensely caring. She’s very loyal to those who gain her love.
- Bree and Elizabeth- Mirabella’s home girls. They have such contradicting personalities but are wonderful friends.
- Arsinoe- Wild and unapologetically herself. Arsinoe focuses more on what’s important in life instead of the painful facts she deals with everyday.
- Jules- Arsinoe and Jules are the ultimate Dynamic Duo. Jules is strong in ways other than her crazy Naturalist abilities and has an awesome cougar as a familiar.
- Billy- Can’t tell you why I like him without spoiling all the fun…
- Pietyr- He just gave me the creeps throughout the whole story and he’s literally insane. That ending though.
- Joseph- Guys, let’s be honest. Joseph is seriously such a cliché character. Looks and power aren’t everything you dweeb.
- Genevieve- She’s a second-rate Umbridge, if you know what I’m saying.
- Katharine- Katharine was the only sister I couldn’t like. Every time we went to her perspective she was either complaining or bemoaning over a love she couldn’t have. There are bigger things at stake girlfriend.
All in all, I would recommend this book. Let me know what you think about it if you end up reading it!
BRB I’M GONNA GO CRY. Mac, Barrons, Jada, Ryodan, Lor, and the rest of the crew are back in the last installment of the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning. If I’m not back with a review of this baby soon, it’s because I literally died while reading it. What a way to go though. If you haven’t read this series (what the heck) then the first book is called Darkfever. Readers beware, it is a bit of a mature novel, the smut is real. Still, it’s one of my all-time favorite series. I’ll be starting on this right now actually.
Have fun reading and I’ll talk to you later!
Every gift is light and dark. -Kendare Blake
Three Dark Crowns